Wednesday, November 26, 2008

6 months later

Well - my intentions were good. Start the Garter Goddess blog. May - I have time. New grandchild is due July 4. Well, little did I know when I started the blog that several days later (May 20) I would be surprised with our first grandchild. A 4 lb 8 oz baby boy. He came into the world just a bit early and needless to say I was distracted. Well, he is 6 months old now and watching him is well unto my routine now. I have given up the job of Guild newsletter editor as of January and I have had alot of time to think about this blog.



I've come across some great garter patterns. In fact - I just came up with a great one. One that will become one of my top ten knitting projects, the Garter Stitch Loop Through Scarf, by Jeri Riggs. The pattern can be found at http://jeririggs.blogspot.com/ on her Sunday November 23 blog posting.





















The pattern qualifies for my top ten because

1- it is a quick knit

2- it can be knit in all garter

3- it can be knit in any weight of yarn - great stash buster

4- it is easily a one skein project - it requires less than 100 yards of yarn when made in dk weight yarn


The one I am making is a heavy worsted so I am using only 10 stitches for the first 8" that will become the loop and then 20 stitches for the remainder of the scarf. I am making it with an orphan skein of a wool blend green yarn with little nubs of brown and white that I adopted at a recent McKnitters group. There is something about those little orphan skeins of an old discontinued yarn that I like - there is a special place in my heart for them. I love to put them to a good use. Because it has a loop at the one end that the long end goes through, it is not necessary to know the wearers neck size as is needed with some of the slotted scarves I've made. this scarf will fit any neck, the only difference being the length of the tail. Because it has just the one tail the scarf will not add as much bulk yet will keep the neck nice and warm. Also because of the one tail it cane be knit with just a little over 1/2 of the yardage needed for a traditional garter stitch scarf. Plus - it take about half the time to knit!!!!!

Shhh!!!!!!! If you know anyone on my Christmas list, don't tell them about this. This is my go to gift of 2008.

No comments: